Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Years Resolutions

Thought For The Day

1 – Try to stay clean shaven
2 – Cut down on record buying
3 – Write a short story or start a novel
4 – Be more tidy at home and at work


So I can’t stop smoking or drinking really, as I don’t do either…. OK so I drink a little, but hardly enough to make it a worthwhile resolution!. The resolutions I’m attempting are all going to be pretty hard for me to keep, but I will try. The idea of writing something is coming on stronger at the moment.

Last night I was unable to sleep until the early hours, due to the fact that words, paragraphs, even whole chapters were coming into my head, then drifting away to burst like soap bubbles in a spectactular flurry of nothingness. If only I had some sort of device that I could connect up to my head so that I could dictate my thoughts into a word document instead of writing, or even dictating. I lie in bed and everything comes together in a form that (at least ) I think is a perfectly worded storyline. My style of writing is much like my style of talking – some people like that, some don’t. I’ve certainly read books, proper published books that are more sloppily written – so we’ll see.

2- Record buying. OK, now here’s a toughie! – I am a true addict, and perhaps by admitting that then I’m halfway through the problem, even as I write this. I’m writing out a cheque for £25 for a record that I said I would buy before Christmas – (It’s OK, I haven’t welched on a deal. – I did say from the outset that I could not pay for it until after Christmas.) – BUT, I’m going to try to make that the last one for a while

IN OTHER NEWS

I need to change some of my BLOG. I’m no longer keeping the MOTORCYCLE DIARY, as I have sold the last of my ‘good’ bikes, and only have an old Honda 125 to get rid of now. I’m unlikely to do anything with regards to an ART PROJECT, unless I do manage to start writing more than a BLOG. I'm sure there are other changes as well - It is bound to evolve during the coming year. Perhaps if I'm giving up the record buying I can dedicate more time to the Blog and to MySpace. - We'll see.

5 comments:

robotjam said...

Jay, that device would be great. I have been thinking about writing a novel for a while, mine has load of great scenes but no actual plot.

I have almost finished with your soulville, should get something off me by the weekend.

Jayster said...

Thanks Rob,

Incidentally – I was just thinking last night about that idea about a PI based on a canal, where all the crimes revolved around things falling or being thrown into the water. It’s so funny because it’s so banal, it could never work…….. then I saw Rosemary & Thyme!!!! – Enough said? – Go with it!

robotjam said...

Jay, I just looked at that. Felicity Kendall in a Gardening Murder series ?!?!?

The name of the series makes it even better.

Jayster said...

Oh yes - Great it is.... The murder always sems to revolve around something to do with the garden or the plants. I must admit that I haven't watched it this time around, but previous devious happenings included poisoning with Cow Parsley, and a case where the soil became discoloured as a result of the crime... or something like??? - I'm sure that future episodes may include such wonders as stabbing with sharpened celery, or internal bleeding caused by the ingestion of ludicrously planted rose thorns in the victims mashed potato!

Catnapping said...

if your short stories are anything as good as your anecdotes, you will do very well!

i just had a good few minutes reading some of your entries.

good stuff there, maynard!