Thursday, December 01, 2005

1960’s Soul Offer – CD. - £3.50

This is a duplicate of a post I have over on Little Shop Of Horrors....

1960’s Soul Offer – CD. - £3.50

OK – Here’s a very special offer for 60’s Soul Fans. – BUT, there’s a catch.

I need the help of 10 Soul / Northern soul fans…….Read on!

a while back I was DJ’ing with some of my 60’s stuff, thinking I was doing a pretty sound Northern set, when somebody came up and said – “I’m normally just into Northern, but you’ve played some blindin’ R&B” – Something I was quite unaware I was doing – it got me to thinking that I obviously don’t know what is Northern, what is R&B, what is even funk or deep soul maybe??????? – I just don’t know anymore!!!! – When I was a rockin’ DJ, I knew what was rockabilly / rock’n’roll / R&B, I knew whether it was a jiver, a bopper or a stroller…….All in all, I was sorted, I could pull a decent set together without even thinking about it – it just came natural!

SO – I’m putting together a CD made up of 30 tracks out of my singles box, some I know about, and are put there just as a yard stick to work by, some are pretty obscure, and I have no idea what category they should go in, and others I have a pretty good idea about, but might be wrong.

I’m doing 10 copies only – so if you are interested – BE QUICK!

What do you get for your £3.50? – Well, you get the CD with 30 tracks – All as far as I know from the 1960s – (Some of the singles may be cheapies, but even the cheapest would have set me back £3 - £4, some will be bigger investments, maybe worth up to £100? – I don’t know what will go on it yet!). You get NO track listing, and NO other track information. You get a questionnaire asking about each track - Artist / Title / Year / Label – If you KNOW the answers you will need to tick a box to say you know it….. If you don’t know it, make an educated guess. You will also need to put down what you would class it as – whether you consider it 1960’s Northern Soul, Garage, Deep Soul, Latin, or Funkadelic jazz with a Go-Go beat etc., plus any additional comments like – “Great track, dance to it often” – “Got this on Kent album Go Go frenzy” or “What a pile of poop, wouldn’t give you the skin of my withered foot for it!” – THEN send the questionnaire back in the stamped addressed envelope that will also be enclosed…….THEN, you will be sent an information insert / booklet for the CD with full track listing, some label scans, and some information that I do already posses. - Sound like fun? – A bit like a pub quiz on a subject you’re already keen on? - Well – what are you waiting for?

This project is really for reference / research purposes only – the payment covers material costs and postage only, Once finished I will leave it to your discretion whether you dispose of the CD or not. Obviously you wouldn’t be allowed to listen to it, purely for entertainment value or heaven forbid dance to the music, as that would clearly be unethical!

1 comment:

Jayster said...

Great to hear from you AK.
Hope you enjoy the CD, and I certainly look forward to your comments!