Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Kitchen Floor - Update

The Daily Grind
Well Last night I was all set to start recording the second part of my Soulville CD’s. – now, it doesn’t take too long to set the lap-top up, connect the cables to the stereo via the special audio box, connect the card readers etc – But it is a bit of a palaver. Then haul my singles case out of the cupboard, and find the records that I have already selected*. Then settle down, put the first disc on the deck and……..knock on the door!

It’s my brother in law, armed with a roller, tray and tub of PVA! – “Hello”, he says to my wife – ( who had incidentally already said it was fine that I would spend my evening recording music in the dining room, while she watched TV in the living room. Normally we would both watch TV at this time of night – Even though I have absolutely no interest in the TV programmes. I don’t generally like going in to listen to records, or do recording until she’s gone to bed, as I feel ignorant and rude!.) – Anyway, I digress! – “Hello” says my brother in law – (this is not a repeat, just going back to where we left off!) “You’ve forwarned Jayster of what he’s doing tonight haven’t you?” – (Ahh, thinks I …This is something that involves me.!) I was then informed that my evening would be spent smoothing out the last little nubblets on the floor, hovering, then painting with a coat of watered down PVA, ready for him to come in and lay the floor tomorrow morning………


YAAAY – we should be getting a new floor in our kitchen tomorrow – Only three months after the old floor was ripped up. The main delay was the time it took for the drying process to be completed. – But that’s all documented elsewhere.

Anyways – The upshot for me is that I didn’t record Soulville Part 2 after all…. Maybe tonight!

*I have found that the recording process for making up CD's is much different from when I used cassettes. I approached the recording of cassettes in much the same way that I would DJ at a dance. That is - select a track, play it, and while it is playing trawl through the box to find a track that would follow it well - Maybe pull out half a dozen records, slot them into the box at jaunty angles, but basically it's a select on the run...... I've found that with the CD route, I've approached it much more like I did for a radio show. That is, make a selection of 30 tracks, write out a list - (This was all done a couple of nights ago.) then put the records in that order, and stick fairly rigidly to the list. Both methods work well, and the CD I have in the car at the momentis probably one of my favourite compilations - (But then they always are until I do the next one!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least something's going to get laid at Jayster towers then!

Jayster said...

It's funny that your comment came when it did.......BUT I won't go into details!!!!!!.

I still haven't recorded part 2. Looks like it won't hapen till next week now.

Very slow uptake anyway, so there's no rush!