Wednesday, October 05, 2005

On set with The Borrowers

The Daily Grind

Now here’s a rather dull story for you all to enjoy. I was in the film ‘The Borrowers’, although may well have been cut out due to my own stupidty. – I worked as an extra for a couple of years – Well, you know how it goes? – I needed a little EXTRA money, it seemed the ideal way of getting it! – I worked for the Ray Knight Agency who got me far more work than any of the other agencies that I paid to be with!!!!! - Anyway – I digress.
SO, we’re called to a location near Reading (Theale if you must know) to shoot a couple of scenes for the Borrowers, at the time I had a beard, and being as I was just an extra, that was fine. I was given a bicycle to ride, then told off for swapping it for a smaller bike, as that was the one the main star was supposed to be riding – hence the little tin can on the front which he was carying a couple of borrowers in - Ooops, there I go on another tangent. filming went well, and my job for the day was wearing a hat and an overcoat and riding up and down the road on the bicycle. Then we were called up to another location in central London, where I was once more given a hat and an overcoat and a bicycle to ride about on – (If I remember rightly the boy was cycling to a dairy or something, there was a bridge / tunnel at both locations, and the idea was that one location was one side of the bridge and the other location was the other side.) Trouble is the boy must have been cycling for about a month and a half under the bridge, by which time I’d realised that the beard was more trouble than it was worth. It felt like I had a scarf on the whole time, it also managed to retain odours from previous nights exploits, even after serious cleaning – (I won’t go into details, but I’m sure you know where I’m coming from.) – As a result, it had to go! – I don’t think I actually appear cycling in the film either clean shaven, or bearded!

No comments: