Monday, September 12, 2005

But is it NORTHERN Soul?????????

Music
I don’t know if this link will work or not, but here goes…….

I was looking for a track ‘I Love the Life I live - Willie Parker on the M-Pac label,( I’ve since found it on the President label). During my search, I picked up a little bundle of 45’s on M-Pac – none of which were by Willie Parker. There was some 1960’s bluesy stuff by Dorothy Prince, a couple of discs by the great Harold Burrage, and this one by a group called ‘The Accents. Now – I don’t know quite where this fits musically – I think it sounds a little earlier than would normally be accepted as Northern Soul, yet, although it would sound pretty good as a rockin’ stroller, I think the rockin’ crowd would poo poo it as a sixties soul track.. – I’d be interested in hearing anybody’s views.



It’s heavily compressed with a bit rate of just 48 kbps – You can listen to it, but I don’t thin you’ll be able to download it, as it is sure to be fairly appalling quality on anything other than your computer. – I’m not being mean here, but if you do want it, you should buy a real copy.!

I’ve got quite a lot of 45’s that seem to slip between categories – I don’t know whether they can be classed as soul, or R&B or Northern Soul, or what ! –I’m still a bit of a novice in this area – Got quite a few funk singles that could almost slip into soul categories as well. I’m thinking of putting some CD’s or tapes together and putting a questionnaire in saying – Well What Do You Think? – I bet that there would be a huge diversity in peoples opinions!

SO – If this link has worked, you should be able to click on the picture of the MAD DJ, and he’ll play the track for you – As always – any genuine comments are eagerly awaited – Any automated comments saying – ‘Love your blog, come and visit mine so that I can tell you about some crappy un-related money laundering business deal’ can stick any number of 45’s or 78’s up t…….. well, anywhere that the sun is less bright!

No comments: