Friday, September 30, 2005

A bit of a SOUL SHAKEDOWN!

As you probably know the motorcycle diary is currently on hold. Wife not keen on me riding a motorbike again, and the fact that I can easily lift the pushbike from a lying position back onto it’s wheels with no assistance…. Looks like it’s going to be P-P-P-P-P Pedal Power for me for the foreseeable!
I Still don’t think much of Scrappy Do – Can’t they kill him off in some way! – You’d have thought that with all the monster and ghost type shenanigans, they could have had the kids rolling about with laughter as some hideous she beast shook him about like a pathetic rag doll with blood and guts spattering the happy gang – Oh well, I’m sure Hanna Barbera will come up with something! - Oooooh – I can use this as a special Hanna Barbera link!
I’ll probably be putting the little Honda back on the market soon – maybe tidy it up a bit first – It’s got all the relevant tax and ticket and blah blah blah, so it should sell OK

MUSIC -PLEASE NOTE - All images / music files have been deleted

SO – Today is going to be a music thing – the tracks posted are for reference and research purposes only – Please DO NOT download them if you just want to listen to them, dance to them or enjoy them – as that would clearly be unethical! – I would like to know more about these tracks – They won’t be available for very long – (Notice I don’t specify a time)
The first track I’ve mentioned before - Soulville, by Dinah Washington on the Roulette label - Personally, I don’t think it’s a patch on the Aretha Franklin cut on Columbia, but in a jazzy kind of way it stands up well for itself – I’d like to know what year it is – (If anybody can be bothered to read this, and then be bothered to write a comment)


This next track plays along with the Hanna Barbera link from the start of this Scooby blog! – The Dynatones on the HBR (Hanna Barbera) label playing their instrumental number The Fife Piper -I don’t know much about this, but I’m sure I’ve heard the name of the band before, but can’t find any tracks – any ideas on the releases of this band during the 1950’s. – Or the year this was pressed?


And – FINALLY for today, is this little platter on the Date label. Again I know nothing about it, other than the fact that I quite like it, and at the end of the day, that’s what counts.


SO – What answers would I like put into comments? –Well, anything you like really – anything you know about the tracks posted, including if you know if they are commercially available on CD and so forth – Release dates for the specific tracks, any juicy gossip or stories about the sessions or about the artists involved – Or details of any other tracks you would like to see posted – (obviously if I haven’t got the track I won’t post it, and chances are – I won’t because my collection is pretty limited.)
I’ve got quite a lot of 45’s that seem to slip between categories – I don’t know whether they can be classed as soul, or R&B or Northern Soul, or what ! –I’m still a bit of a novice in this area – Got quite a few funk singles that could almost slip into soul categories as well. I’m thinking of putting some CD’s or tapes together and putting a questionnaire in saying – Well What Do You Think? – I bet that there would be a huge diversity in peoples opinions!
I’ve just picked up Etta James – Pushover and Jimmy James Ho Diddle Howdy Doody Ho Hum – (or somthing like that – Perhaps I’ll post a couple more tracks next week.) – One never knows does one?


SO – If this link has worked, you should be able to click on the picture of the MAD DJ, and he’ll play the track for you – As always – any genuine comments are eagerly awaited – Any automated comments saying – ‘Love your blog, come and visit mine so that I can tell you about some crappy un-related money laundering business deal’ can stick any number of 45’s or 78’s up t…….. well, anywhere that the sun is less bright!


One LAST thing before I cut out for the day – If anybody is in the Newbury area this weekend, there is a Northern Soul / Motown night at The Liberty Ballroom on Old Greenham Common – Usually good for a bit of a jig about, and I’ll probably take a little box of 45’s with me to sell. See you all there then?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whassat?
His Master's Vomit?

Jayster said...

I guess the file fairies held a similar view........